If you’re a Windows sysadmin in an environment with locked down user rights, and you want to perform an administrative action without needing to log out a current user, you can find yourself in a tight spot. Luckily, if you Shift-RightClick Command Prompt, click Run As another user, and login as your admin user, you can launch administrative tools all without needing to log out.
One such tool is the User Profiles window under Advanced system settings. To launch it from Command Prompt, type:
When attempting to upgrade my Fedora 27 to Fedora 28 running the Cinnamon desktop, I received the following error:
dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=28
Before you continue ensure that your system is fully upgraded by running "dnf --refresh upgrade". Do you want to continue [y/N]: y
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:00 ago on Wed 02 May 2018 11:19:35 PM CDT.
Problem: package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.12.4-3.fc27.x86_64 requires libchromaprint.so.0()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
- libchromaprint-1.2-8.fc27.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
- problem with installed package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.12.4-3.fc27.x86_64
It turns out the name for this gstreamer plugins package has changed names, and it’s goofing up the dependencies path for libchromaprint. Minor issue, but it stops my upgrade cold.
I came up with this workaround: upgrade libchromaprint and gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free before trying to update the entire distro. So:
Recently, VLC Media Player on my Fedora 27 installation running the Cinnamon desktop has been missing the title bar and window decorations, resulting in VLC not being a proper window and only a full-screen application. For me, this behavior is undesirable.
To restore normal functionality it’s easiest to simply delete the VLC configuration:
rm -r ~/.config/vlc
Now, VLC will function normally. Preferences will have to be recreated, but if you’re like me, you don’t need much more than the ability to play media.
My x11vnc on Fedora has recently started crashing with the following error:
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
This issue seems to come and go for a lot of people with x11vnc. Bugs have been reported, but nobody seems to be able to pin it down. One workaround is to recompile it from source with some memory protections disabled, but that is a lot of work .
This workaround takes care of it: launch x11vnc with -noxrecord on the end. That’s it!
I’ve been a Project Fi customer for over 2 years. We went from a Verizon bill of $140+ per month for 2 phones with 800 minutes, 100 texts, and unlimited data to Project Fi with unlimited talk and text and $10/GB on data, with an average bill of $50-55/mo. There’s bill protection, too, so if you go above 10GB (with 2 lines), they won’t charge you any more than $135. If you’re always on Wi-Fi, it’s a no-brainer.
Project Fi uses towers from Sprint, TMobile, and US Cellular, switching when the signal from the current carrier gets low. Also, Wi-Fi calling and texting works flawlessly – I’ve even taken calls over satellite Internet.
The only caveat with Project Fi is that you pay for your phone up front (which is becoming more common, anyway), and it has to be a phone that gets its updates directly from Google: the Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Moto X4 Android One edition, Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5X. That’s because traditional carriers do not include the network-switching software piece in the handsets they sell.
I’ve been having an odd problem with being unable to delete emails from the Inbox of my self-hosted email account from my Android phone, using the Gmail app, using IMAP. When I would delete a message, a copy would be created in the Trash folder, but the original would remain in the inbox – when viewed from webmail. When I refreshed the inbox, the original would reappear on my phone.
At first, I thought the problem was permissions on /var/mail – so I did various changes such as chmod 1775, but to no avail.
I then remembered that I had recently re-setup my mail account on my phone, and realized that maybe it wasn’t using IMAP previously. So, I deleted the account, set it up again as POP3, and enabled server-side deletion. It worked!
It turns out that most mobile IMAP clients do not support the ability to achieve true server-side deletion. Using POP3 is an easy alternative and there is no harm. Yes, POP3 is an outdated and cruddy protocol, but in the end, it works.